Fractional Microneedling Radiofrequency (MRF)
The new technology of MRF might be a good step forward due to efficacy and safety of the procedure in all skin types. It combines fractional radiofrequency technology with microneedling. As opposed to other radiofrequency platforms that treat the skin from the outside in, MRF or Ellysis uses flow needle technology to deliver RF where it needs to be – the dermis. The Ellysis handpiece contains 25 microscopic needles that are deployed through the skin’s surface. Once deployed, the microneedle tips conduct radiofrequency energy into predetermined depths of the dermis, a huge advantage over traditional micro needling devices.
- Micro-needling works very well on treating acne scars, large pores, active acne and stretch marks, and along with these classic indications he started to use it for more challenging indications. Treatment of Acne and post acne scars is considered a major challenge in the field of Aesthetic services in general and in the patients with dark skin in particular.
- It is very important to mention that acne is a chronic disease with several relapses and so usually with patients of acne we use several different techniques and procedures – this is one of them. It is not a complete cure for acne, but when acne is moderate or mild, then we can use it, usually 3 to 5 sessions and patients will start to see an improvement after the second session.
- It works when the needles go into the skin, according to the depth that we determine, then it increases the blood circulation and when combined with radio frequency then the heat combined with the needles will lead to the shrinkage of the sebaceous glands. And it is the sebaceous glands in the skin, which are largely responsible for the acne. When they shrink due to the heat, the sebum production is less and therefore we reduce the acne.
- Another common condition is rejuvenation – so if someone has fine lines, moderate lines, enlarged pores, texture problems then we use the micro-needling because it stimulates the collagen and increases the local blood circulation so it improves the texture of the skin in a very significant way.
- The downtime will be anything between a couple of hours up to one day maximum, depending upon the depth of the needles and the patient. It will be in the form of redness and minor swelling but it will go away in one day maximum.
- As we all know, stretch marks are something that are not easy to treat and usually they are very stubborn. We should not expect that the skin will come back to completely normal texture – our objective here is to make the stretch marks less visible, narrower and more superficial and this is exactly what we can achieve with MRF. It might need between 6 to 10 sessions, with a session every 2 weeks.